Light and Creamy Fettucine With Asparagus
* 1/2 pound fettuccine
* 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and diagonally sliced
* 2 teaspoons trans-free margarine
* 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
* 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
* 1/4 cup reduced-fat cream cheese
* 1/3 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
* 2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
* coarsely ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the fettuccine and cook for 6 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the asparagus and cook 4 to 6 minutes more, or until the fettuccine is al dente and asparagus is crisp-tender. Scoop out 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water and reserve. Drain the pasta and asparagus and return to the cooking pot; cover to keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Gradually add the milk, whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or until thickened and smooth. Remove from the heat.
3. Whisk in the cream cheese and Gorgonzola until smooth and blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the sauce to the pasta and toss, adding pasta water to moisten, if necessary. Sprinkle with the walnuts.
Add grilled chicken or shrimp to the dish for a protein boost.
343 cal, 16 g pro, 54 g carb, 5 g fiber, 8 g fat, 3 g sat fat, 9 mg chol, 213 mg sodium