Sunday, January 11, 2009

Heaven is in My Refrigerator

Instead of a birthday cake, Mark's request is ALWAYS this Heavenly Dessert. I got this recipe years ago. Actually, I think I got it first from Heather's mom, Diane when we lived in San Diego. I have since found the exact recipe from one of my Paula Deen cookbooks, The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook ( I adore her!) . Here it is:

Million-Dollar Pie
Ingredients:
1 stick butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 8-ounce pkg. cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 quart heavy cream, whipped
with 1 cup sugar until stiff
2 3.4-ounce packages instant
chocolate pudding mix
(we use 1 box chocolate & 1 box vanilla)
3 cups milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass dish, melt butter and stir in four and 1/4 cup of nuts. Bake about 15 - 20 minutes, until firm. Let cool.
First Layer: Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1 cup of whipped cream. Layer over cooked nut crust.
Second Layer: Combine instant pudding mix and milk. Layer over first layer.
Third Layer: Combine remaining whipped cream and remaining chopped nuts. Layer over top. (we top ours with shaved chocolate) Keep refrigerated.
heaven for the little ones

12 comments:

Diane said...

Mmmmmmm...looks yummy. I got that recipe from my grandmother and you just reminded me I haven't made it for ages. The cream cheese is the what makes it!

Annemarie said...

Ahhh yes! This is a favorite! They also served it in the BYU cafeteria...no wonder the co-eds pack it on!!!

Andrea said...

Oh, I've loved Paula Deen ever since I heard her say, "I start every recipe with a stick of butter." Yum!

dreamit said...

I had this at a party years ago. I'm so excited to have the recipe.
I'd rather have this than cake too.

stacey said...

Yum! You're not helping me loose my baby weight!

Nana said...

That's Heaven alright!

stacey said...

I just love heaven!

monstermash said...

That dessert sounds so good!

sewpink said...

I love Paula Deen's recipes and this one sounds super!

Kayley said...

all three heavens look great to me

Heather said...

How funny - right when I saw the picture I thought of my family because we make that whenever we get together! In fact, we just had two big pans of it at Christmas time! i love that stuff and Annemarie is right - we used to pig out on it at the BYU cafeteria! Yummy stuff!

Heather said...

We all call it Chocolate Whip Delight!