Friday, January 9, 2009

My 2009 Word

Here's a little something to think about today....
Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2009?

Over at Tip Junkie, Laurie is hosting
"Word of the Year"...Check it out HERE."
"A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow."~Quote on Tip Junkie.

The word I have chosen is
Definition: Hope is a belief in a positive outcome related to events and circumstances in one's life. Hope implies a certain amount of despair, wanting, wishing, suffering or perseverance — i.e., believing that a better or positive outcome is possible even when there is some evidence to the contrary. Beyond the basic definition, usage of the term hope follows some basic patterns which distinguish its usage from related terms:

Each year in our Relief Society we choose a theme.
Last year it was "Becoming Women of Strength"
We used the scripture reference~Phillippians 4:13
“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

After enjoying the beautiful Christmas Season and the celebration of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, I was reflecting back on the wonderful lessons and messages about our Savior and his love for us. I especially enjoyed the December Visiting Teaching message:

"Jesus Christ is the Light, Life and Hope of the World".
President Uchtdorf stated, "The gospel of Jesus Christ has the divine power to lift you to great heights from what appears at times to be an unbearable burden or weakness."

and then Our 2009 RS Theme came to me

"A Perfect Brightness of Hope"
Scripture reference~Romans 8:24,
For we are saved by Hope

Although we are faced with many challenges and the economic state of our country is troubled, the Lord wants us to be filled with hope...not just because it points us to a brighter tomorrow but because it changes the quality of our lives today.

I really do believe in Hope. Did you know our youngest daughter is named Hope? 12 years ago, our hearts were filled with deep sorrow and despair. My brother was in a terrible surfing accident and had a severe spinal chord injury. At that same time Mark's brother's wife was diagnosed with a rare and terminal cancer. Our families are very close and it was such a difficult time for everyone. A few months later we shared the news of a new baby girl. This news and the anticipation of her arrival reminded us all of our Savior's atoning love and his gift of hope. It was the perfect name for our sweet blessing.I love this talk The Infinite Power of Hope from the October General Conference.

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul.
And sings the tune
Without the words,
and never stops at all.
Emily Dickinson (1830 - 1886)

13 comments:

monstermash said...

I love the word you chose for 2009!

stacey said...

So appropriate for everything going on today. I loved hearing about how you named your daughter.

Chrissy said...

This is a beautiful post. And what a great idea.

I had no idea the story behind Hope's name... that is so touching.

Diane said...

I think this is my favorite post on your blog. Thank you for the uplifting remarks. That picture of Hope is too cute.

dreamit said...

I love this post. I'm taking on your word for 2009. It's perfect.

Marci said...

Good post mom and the picture of Hope is SOOO cute in black and white!

sewpink said...

That story about your daughter's name is precious. I love the word Hope and what a beautiful name!

kelley said...

Your blog lifted my spirits...Thank you. I love your word HOPE and I love Hope (my granddaughter)...

Andrea said...

What an inspiring story!

Kayley said...

oh my gosh Hope was such a cute baby!

Kayley said...

I'd forgotten what a cute baby Hope was!

dreamit said...

She really is a cutie.

stacey said...

I just wanted you to know...I have gone back and re-read this a few times. It is so inspiring to me.
Thanks!